Sunday, May 15, 2011

abstinence

There have been many times during this process that the process itself has made doing the wifely duties (ahem ahem) a little difficult.  I'm not one of those people who fakes a headache - unless I am super tired and need to get up early . . . well  . . .I'm usually game.

But then came the infertility - took a bit of the fun out of it.  At first it was just the hassle of "come on honey . . .we're mid cycle!"  that chipped some of the romance away.  Then came the treatments with the migraines, the hemorrhaging, the vaginal progesterone, the discomfort of ovarian enlargement.  All of these things infringed on the majority of each month making it much less enjoyable.

Then came the IUIs.  No longer needing sex for the purpose of procreation, at first this was very freeing.  Back to recreational activity!  But then there was the waiting 2 days before the insemination and then the gotta go every night after  . .. just in case it helps.  Then would follow all of the other lovelies as mentioned above.

But at no point during this process have I not been able to have it for more than a day, and further more the reason I can't because I may in fact get pregnant.  Interesting conundrum.  I know logically it all makes sense and there is such a thing as too pregnant, but I feel like I am back in high school - terrified that if I go for it on prom night I could get knocked up.

I'm looking forward to a few weeks from now when I take my little infertility hiatus when I start birth control pills and remember what it is like to feel normal again.  I simply hope the year of infertility treatments hasn't altered my sex life forever.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand what you are saying. I also wonder if our sex life will ever get back to normal after all that we've gone through. I hope so but I'm afraid not.

    ReplyDelete