Tuesday, January 4, 2011

To test or not to test

Trigger day was 12/26 which places the first day to test (according to my RE) 1/9.  Next Tuesday day is a really big day for me (giving the biggest presentation of my life so far).  I plan to continue the progesterone though tuesday morning because I cant exactly be standing up in front of a bunch of people and have to run out to re-tamponize.   So I ask  . . . when to test?

Here are the options:
1) test early and run the risk of getting really excited about a false positive left over from the trigger or really disappointed if there is nothing - even though it may be too early
2) test on Sunday as I planned to do - just take it and move on.  Either it will be good and may relieve the pressure or it will not and at least I can order the meds for the next cycle.
3) put it off - I will be dying to know but this way it wont distract me.  I can pee on a stick Tuesday afternoon in the airport bathroom.  If its good I can daydream the rest of the way home, if not I can get plastered with the nice people in the airport bar.  Problem with this is the husband will not be there with me.

hmmmmmm . . . .


  1. That is a problem! I hope you choose what's best for you!

  2. My trigger was gone and I had a real positive at 13 days past trigger (hcg 33). Was your trigger 5000 units or 10000? I've read online that generally you metabolize it 1000 units a day or so. There was a (not pregnant) cycle when I tested out the trigger with internet cheapie tests and by 9 or 10 days past the trigger it was completely gone...(the RE's nurses were seriously not familiar with the concept and looked at me like I was insane.) Anyway, obviously I'm an advocate of testing early and often. If I had a test laying around now at 20 wks pregnant, I'd probably pee on it just for fun, so you might not want to listen to me. :)

  3. Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that both times my triggers were 10,000 units.

  4. My 10,000 IU triggers are gone at the 6 day post trigger mark. So test early--see what happens then test again just to confirm.

    Good luck either way!!

  5. I say test on Sunday like you'd planned. Saturday if you really can't wait but there's no good coming from an inaccurate result if you test too early. And if you opt to wait until Tuesday all I have to say is...good luck! :)

  6. Just stumbled across your blog. I loved your previous post about your mother. I'm going to vote--test early.

  7. Hi there, just found you through LFCA and wanted to say hello. I can't imagine how difficult it is to be struggling with infertility as a gynaecologist - I turn into a puddle when I am within 100 metres of a pregnant woman or child under the age of 10! A very difficult decision you've got but I'd probably go with option the last. Good luck with whatever you decide and may your result be the good kind!